Wednesday, April 28, 2010

mmt ingredient challenge

In my favorite online community, I've helped launch a monthly creative challenge of sorts, just for fun and 'cause I'm into nerdy things like that. Last weekend, I was finally able to complete my Cooking Ingredient Challenge and I'd thought I share my entry here.

The challenge posed was basically to create a dish or a meal using ingredients from a list of 10 items-- the more included, the better. I ended up using 8 out of the 10 given ingredients in an unexpected Saturday lunch and I'm pretty happy with the results. The "fries" are definitely keepers-- crispy and flavorful without being overly indulgent. I was worried that they'd be limp and flavorless but, I didn't miss the deep fryer at all

Anyway, here 'tis! (With challenge ingredients in bold.)



 Turkey-Avocado Club Wrap
with Sweet Potato "Fries"

For the wrap:

Ingredients:

  • medium-sized flour tortillas
  • sliced roast turkey breast
  • sliced swiss cheese
  • lettuce
  • tomato, sliced
  • avocado, sliced, with a squeeze of lime
  • 1-2 slices of cooked bacon
  • mayonnaise, or condiment of your choice
Self explanatory but, just for good measure: spread a bit of whatever condiment you're using in the middle of the tortilla; layer the sliced turkey, swiss, lettuce, tomato, avocado and bacon as you see fit; tuck in the outer edges of the tortilla and roll up your wrap. Slice in half to serve.

Feel free to add in or substitute anything else that strikes your fancy-- some red onion, pickles, chipotle mayo, honey mustard, sliced ham, roast beef or tuna salad would be awesome in this, too.


 For the fries:

{recipe from Body+Soul}

Ingredients:
  • 2 sweet potatoes, skin on, scrubbed and cut into 4-inch sticks, about 1/2 inch thick
  • vegetable oil
  • 3 large egg whites
  • Mediterranean spice (oregano & thyme, salt, garlic powder)
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees with racks in the upper and middle positions. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and rub with oil.

2. Put sweet potatoes in a microwave-safe container, cover, and microwave 2 minutes. Stir gently, cover, and microwave 1 to 2 minutes more until pieces are pliable. Let rest 5 minutes covered.

3. In a large bowl, whisk egg whites until frothy, add spice mix, and whisk to blend. Working in batches, toss the sweet-potato pieces in the seasoned egg whites, letting the excess liquid drip back into the bowl. Place in a single layer on prepared baking sheets. Bake 10 minutes, then flip pieces over with a spatula. Rotate baking sheets from front to back and from one rack to the other. Bake until dark golden brown, about 15 minutes. Serve immediately.



You'll have to excuse the odd photo-- I just wanted to snap a quick pic so I could dig in! And now I'm craving those sweet potato fries again... x

2 comments:

  1. I love the photo. There's a bistro close to where I work that serves something just like this, however, yours looks much cleaner and the fact that it's homemade makes all the difference in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw, thank you! I literally just held the plate in one hand and the camera in the other, snapped 3 pics and called it a day. those fries were teasing me.

    ReplyDelete