Tuesday, September 8, 2009

fallin'

We've got 2 weeks until Autumn finally descends upon us, but after Labor Day summer is pretty much finished in my book. As much as I love fall in New England, I'm a little sad this year-- I feel like we were seriously jipped out of a real summer because of all the nasty, cool weather we had this year. Le sigh.


BUT after last weekend, I'm letting go of summer. Hubby and I had a 'last hurrah' in the frigid water at the beach, eating hamburgers off the grill and finally getting ice cream cones from Gellar's (the summer snack bar in our little town-- we've lived here for 4 months but, now I feel like a true Manomet-ian!).


I also treated myself to some new warmer duds and saw Rob Zombie's Halloween II, to get me in the mood for the season. It worked. I'm really looking forward to cool, crisp days, warm-hued leaves and making my Dr. Dakota Block Halloween costume, among lots of other things.


Here are some of my favorite fall-inspired picks from Etsy that I just had to share...


Clockwise from the top left:

~Mother and Child Aspen Leaf necklace by Elizabeth Scott Designs
~Tufted Titmouse by Robert Socha Photography
~Skeleton Leaf earrings by Roundabout Designs
~Acorn Tree by Laura Berger (check out her blog & flickr photostream too)


I don't know about you, but I *love* discovering new-to-me Etsy artisans and their work, then hoarding them in my ridiculously long favorite lists. I figure since I can't buy them all - which is exactly why I don't have a credit card - the least I can do is share them and hope you see something you like enough to buy. I heart supporting handmade awesomeness (and no, they don't pay me to say that).


Anywho, I've got lots to look forward to this fall-- how about you?


I'll be attending my second NY Harvest Festival & Freedom Fair on October 9th, which is a whole pile of interesting. I'll hopefully be able to catch the Wailers (!!!) and the always-funky George Clinton, too. Seeing the bright foliage throughout the Catskills is worth the trip alone.


Then on the 18th, I'll be going to my first ICP show in at least a year and I am so pumped for that! They might not be your cup of tea but, god damn do they put on a helluva show.


In between all these exciting events and Halloween of course, I would also love to squeeze in a few fall crafts (like Martha's simple-but-lovely autumn luminarias or another leaf craft of some sort) because I have been neglecting my poor crafty supplies since our move.


AND I want to go apple picking! I haven't been since I was a kid and I am just dying to go. I have been hanging onto PickYourOwn.org for months and I will definitely be checking that out for apple orchards, pumpkin patches and other agricultural fall fun 'round here. I can't wait to make some warm cinnamony-delicious desserts with apples I've picked myself-- it doesn't get much better than that!



Hope you're enjoying September thus far darlings!

xxx,
Mrs. M

2 comments:

  1. That leaf necklace is lovely!!!! Good find! Autumn is amazing, and I'm waiting for the last hurrah of summer to move on so I can enjoy some brisk weather and the colors of fall. It really is such a beautiful time of year! I am a wee bit envious that you are in New England tho. I hear it is beautiful that time of year! Make sure you post pics of apple picking! should be a good day out :D x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been pining for that necklace for months! glad you liked it. NE really is beautiful during this season, which makes the sweltering summers and frigid winters a little more bearable :)

    ReplyDelete