Monday, January 11, 2010

edible exploits: chocolate almond pastries

Hello dears! I hope your weekend was as productive as mine. I cleaned and organized and got some fresh air outdoors, and I felt like it was time well spent. How about you?

One of my goals for 2010 is to try a new recipe each weekend -- be it a dessert, a meal, a cocktail or any combination thereof. And wouldn't you know it: I followed through! I actually tried two recipes out this past weekend but, this one was by far my favorite.

Whether you pair it with your morning tea/coffee for breakfast, or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for dessert, this pastry is quick, easy and darn delicious.



Chocolate-Almond Pastries


{Recipe from Martha Stewart Living, December 2009}

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Serves: 4

Ingredients:
  • 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (from a 17.3oz package), thawed
  • 1 large egg lightly beaten, for egg wash

  • sanding sugar*

  • 1 1/2 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
  • good quality honey
  • sea salt

  • 2 tablespoons whole almonds, toasted & coarsely chopped

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Arrange puff pastry on a parchment-lined baking sheet. You should have about a 10-inch square of pastry (trim edges if needed). Fold in each edge to form a 1-inch crust. Prick the middle of the dough all over with a fork. Brush edges with the egg wash, and sprinkle with sanding sugar. Freeze for 15 minutes.

2. Transfer baking sheet to the oven, and bake for 15-20 minutes or until pastry is puffed and golden brown. Remove from the oven, and cover center evenly with chocolate. Drizzle with honey and sprinkle with salt. Return to the oven, and bake until the chocolate melts (about 2-3 minutes). Sprinkle with chopped almonds and cut into 4 squares. Drizzle with more honey if desired.

*I couldn't find sanding sugar so I just used plain ol' granulated sugar; it worked fine but, didn't have the same crunch as sanding sugar.


I really enjoyed eating a piece of this pastry for breakfast. Some might say its too early for chocolate (crazy, I know!) but with the honey and the almonds, it was just right. Days that start with pastry are always good in my book :)

Enjoy & have a great week!

-Mrs M.
{images: me}

No comments:

Post a Comment