Wednesday, March 10, 2010

a sweet revelation: succulent citrus salad

I've been pretty tense lately adjusting to my new work environment. After 7 years in my former office, I knew it would be a difficult transition and it sure has had its challenges. I've been dealing with it mostly by indulging in my greatest weaknesses: coffee and sweets (and shopping but, we won't go there).

I had been keeping up with eating right and exercising so well up until this point, and I'm not too pleased that I've fallen back into this routine of using caffeine and sugar as a means to get through the day. My brain really hammered the point home the other night, when I dreamt that I was sitting on the floor in my pajamas, eating heaping wooden spoonfuls of raw sugar out of a burlap sack. I didn't want to eat it, yet I kept shoveling the sticky, gritty sweetness into my mouth. Talk about a wake-up call.

So, I've shelved my plans for a New York style cheesecake indefinitely (sadface) and I'm taking a break from dessert baking for now. I know that once those luscious summer berries come back into season I definitely won't be able to resist the tart, pie, crisp and crumble possibilities but, I'm going to do my best to be good until then. I'm looking at it more like an opportunity to further explore the realm of healthy, delicious eating... and less like masochism.


Over the weekend I remembered this beautiful citrus salad that I featured last month and decided to make my own version. I used Agave nectar which, is a sweetener procured from the beautiful spikey plants that also provide the basis for tequila (a fabulous plant indeed). Its also a great alternative to honey or maple syrup because its less viscous and less of it is required to achieve the same level sweetness (it was indispensable to me during my gluten- and sugar-free detox!). It was the perfect "dressing" for the juicy sections of grapefruit and orange.

This salad definitely satisfied my sweet spot -- which is a fairly bold statement coming from a Chocoholic slash Pastry Addict like me. Trust me.



Citrus Salad with Agave Nectar


Total Time: 10 minutes
Serves: 1-2

Ingredients:
  • 1 medium orange
  • 1 medium pink grapefruit
  • 2-4 fresh mint leaves, thinly sliced
  • Agave nectar, to taste (I used less than 2 tablespoons)
Supreme the orange and grapefruit. {If you've never done this before, check out Marichelle's simple how-to. Its easy, I promise.}  Place the citrus sections into a small bowl, sprinkle with mint strips, drizzle with Agave and toss lightly to combine. Serve immediately.


So simple, so fresh, and so sweet. Like eating a bowl of summer. It was just what the doctor ordered. x

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I've been eating too much sugar, too. I have all those ingredients in my house except agave... I might have to make this tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you don't have Agave on hand, just use honey. the reason I went with Agave is because I have a whole bottle of it that I've barely touched. it was begging to be used :)

    ReplyDelete